If you’re into makeup, all you hear is “naked this, naked that”. No, get your mind out of the gutter, I’m talking about the Urban Decay Naked palettes of course!
To date, I haven’t shelled out the dough for one. If truth be told, I just haven’t felt a strong enough connection, because for some reason, I gravitate towards the brights (ie. Electric Palette & Mi Vida Loca Remix Palette). However, I totally understand the appeal…particularly when it comes to the Naked 3 – a rosier offering by the brand.
Consequently, when CoverGirl came out with a supposed ‘dupe’, I hightailed it to the nearest Walmart and picked up the TruNaked Roses palette to try for myself.
Price: CAD 12.49
Pigmentation + Application
These are very soft, pigmented shadows, as you can see from the swatches. One thing to beware of is the powder that kicks up if you rub your finger or brush in the shadow too much. Furthermore, these perform best with a shimmering base beneath in order to pick up on the metallic nature of some of the shades. The quality is actually more than decent for drugstore eyeshadows, and they perform better on the eye than they show up in swatches.
I love the fact that Covergirl named its shadows (on the back of the palette) – it gives this palette a classier feel.
- Almond: matte cream
- Champagne: metallic pink champagne (pinker than Makeup Geek’s Shimma Shimma)
- Baby: pale dusty mauve matte
- Rose Gold: the shade Rose Gold is slightly less metallic than L’Oreal Infallibke Amber Rush, however, it is pinker
- Copper Rose: totally misnamed, it is on the same spectrum as Baby, but a darker and plummy matte (similar to Makeup Geek’s Unexpected)
- Dusk: dusty plummy brown.
- Mauvergine: deep satin grey with a purple undertone
- Mousse: dark plum with flecks of glitter
For the makeup look below, I primed my lids using Milani’s eyeshadow primer, used a few jumbo pencils from Makeup Forever, Covergirl and Stila as a base and then applied the shadows from the palette on top. I then finished it off with my Physician’s Formula Eye Booster Pen liquid liner (ultra black). The lips are a mix of YSL Rouge Volupte in the shade Orange Impertinent and Kat Von D Lolita II.