Recently I’ve been quite taken with the idea of enhancing my bare skin. I’ve been on a bit of a foundation kick, but all of a sudden, that’s flipped and I now want to get the glow from within “I was born this way” kinda look.
Here are products that help achieve that. Granted, I do have a favourite, but depending on your budget, or what’s already in your collection, any will work. This list goes in descending order (from worst to best):
Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops Moonlight mixed with Cerave SA Renewing Cream (CAD 52.00)
This experiment came about when I realized that I hadn’t ever touched my mini highlight drops in the shade Moonlight. It’s a little too pale and silver for my skin tone (plus I think that they dry too quickly), but I’m still determined to finish the damn thing. This combo (of drops + cream) looks great under foundation, but by itself, the shimmer particles are a little too shiny and visible for my liking.
GlamGlow Glowstarter Mega Illuminating Moisturizer Nude (CAD 59.00)
I used the moisturizer in this no-makeup, makeup look, and man, I got so many compliments on how healthy my skin looked! Keep in mind, this was while I was sick with a cold, so that tells ya something. Although this looked beautiful, its not nearly moisturizing enough for me on its own (so I have lay it on top of another moisturizer), and the scent is a little sweet for my taste. If you aren’t bothered by scents and have a more normal to combo skin, check it out. Overall, I really like this!
In the picture to the left, I’m wearing the moisturizer all over with a little of my PF concealer under the eyes, and some blush to liven up my sickly self. And yes, we can talk about those brows. What can I say, I was trying something new!
Niod Photography Fluid 8% Tan (CAD 32.00)
Blame Wayne Goss for this one. I fell in love with the idea of this product when I heard him talk about it. So what is the photography fluid? To be honest, I’m no sure I could explain it, but it’s a liquid that dries to nothing on the skin, but leaves the most subtle, skin evening glow on the skin. It made the redness on my skin disappear, yet did not settle into any fine lines or dehydrated areas. The first time I tried it (in store), I couldn’t tell if anything happened, but then I saw myself in natural lighting (and took a photo), and I was very, very impressed. Just remember, less is more…no need to slather the stuff on (you’ll look patchy and weirdly tanned 🙈)! Just a couple drops will do as it spreads easily.
- After purchasing it and trying it on at home, my thoughts are a bit more defined.
- On my skin tone, it doesn’t necessarily add a very obvious colour or tan (which is a good thing), but for those on the lighter spectrum, it will give a warm sun-kissed glow. There is also a 12% (champagne gold) fluid, so with these two I think they’ve got a relatively wide spectrum of skin tones covered.
- It did not mix well with my current foundations (IT Cosmetics CC Cream or the EX1 Invisiwear foundation). The drops didn’t really blend with the product and it looked streaky and patchy. Now I apply the drops first (either mixed with my First Aid Beauty moisturizer or by itself) and then apply the foundation (or wear it on its own). That makes a winning combo.
- Applying it with my hands on freshly moisturized skin blends everything in beautifully. A dense buffing brush also works. It also looks great applied on the traditional bronzing spots on top of foundation.
- It smells kinda funky. Very chemically actually. I can’t say that it’s pleasant, but the scent dissipates upon the skin and now I’m so used to it that it doesn’t really bother me anymore.
Niod Photography Fluid 8% + FAB Moisturizer
Which of these three products appeals to you the most?